Resources to Support Small Businesses in Connecticut
Financial Assistance for Businesses
• Entrepreneur Learner’s Permit Program: This program allows first time businesses in certain fields to be eligible for up to $1,500 in reimbursements for start up costs. If you are a first time business in biotechnology, information technology or green technology and want to apply, visit: www.CTNext.com or call CT Next at (860) 258-7858.
• Small Business Innovation Research: Connecticut Innovations offers free technical consultations to help you improve your chances of winning a federal grant. To learn more, visit: www.ctnext.com/sbir/ or call CT Next at (860) 258-7858.
• Small Business Express: If you have been in business for at least a year, you can be eligible for a small business express loan to help you expand your business or create jobs. For more information, visit the CT Department of Economic and Community Development at: www.ct.gov/ecd or contact Small Business Express at: (860) 270-8105.
• Angel Investor Tax Credit Program: Apply for an angel investment to help you grow your business. If 75% of your employees live in CT, and you have less than $1 million in revenue, you can be eligible for an angel investment. CT expanded eligibility for all types of businesses into this program last year. To learn more, visit CT Innovations: http://ctinnovations.com or call: (860) 563-5851.
• Growth Company Grants: This program allows businesses who have been in business less than 10 years and have seen a 20 percent increase in revenues to apply for this grant, which can help with sales, marketing, technology assistance and more. To learn more, www.ctnext.com/growth- company-grants/ or call CT Next at (860) 258-7858.
• The CT Manufacturing Innovation Fund: This offers loans and grants to support the growth of the manufacturing sector. To learn more, contact: (860) 270-8234.
• Other finance incentives and loan options: There are also 11 regional lenders partners in CT that offer loan support, which can be found under the Financing section of DECD’s website: www.ct.gov/ecd
Resources for Minority-Owned, Veteran-Owned, & Women-Owned Businesses
• Minority Business Initiative through DECD: CT recently launched a new Minority Business Initiative with Designated Funding for Minority Business Loans through the Minority Business Revolving Loan Fund. To learn more, visit: www.ct.gov/mbi or contact the CT Minority Business Initiative Program Manager at: (860) 270-8139 for access to technical help, access to capital, and access to contract opportunities.
•Support for Women Owned Businesses: The U.S. Small Business Administration’s Office of Women’s Business Ownership funds two Women Business Centers in CT with many helpful resources for female entrepreneurs: Women’s Business Center at the University of Hartford and the Women’s Business Development Council in Stamford and Derby. To learn more, visit the Women’s Business Development Council at www.ctwbdc.org or call (203) 353-1750 or visit the Women’s Business Center in Hartford at: www.hartford.edu/ec/wbc/
• The Small Business Development Center provides low cost advising and training for minority and women owned businesses. To learn more, visit: http://ctsbdc.com
• CT Veteran Owned Micro Business Certification: Apply for this by visiting: http://portal.ct.gov/DVA/Pages/Apply-for-CT-Veteran-Owned-MicroBusiness-Certification/Contact or contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at (860) 616-3606.
Finding Workforce Talent
• CT Tech Talent Bridge Internship Program: Find the Tech Talent your Business Needs through this program. To learn more, visit: www.CTNext.com or call CT Next at (860) 258-7858
• CT’s Workforce Training Programs: CT has many workforce talent training programs to assist you. To learn more, visit the Training and Education section of DECD’s website: www.ct.gov/ecd.
• CT Manufacturing Technology Innovation Program: The CT Center for Advanced Technology offers free experts, advanced manufacturing equipment and technical assistance. To learn more, visit: www.ccat.us/programs/ or call: (860) 291-8832.
• CT Manufacturing Voucher Fund: Apply for Vouchers of up to $50,000 for Equipment for your business. To learn more, visit: www.ccat.us/programs/ or call: (860) 291-8832.
Finding a Space for Your Existing or New Business in CT
• CT Economic Resource Center SiteFinder: Find Available Commercial Space through CERC’s SiteFinder, which has an online database of all commercial real estate available. Visit: www.cerc.com or call: 860-571-7136
• Co-Working Spaces: There are also many excellent co-working spaces for you to choose from! Visit The Grove in New Haven, B-Hive in Bridgeport, Serendipity, WorkPoint, and Comradity in Stamford, and Upward in Hartford.
• Help with Business Office Rent: This past legislative session, the CT General Assembly passed a bill allowing businesses to utilize small business express loans to assist with paying business office rent. For more information, visit the CT Department of Economic and Community Development at: www.ct.gov/ecd or contact Small Business Express at: (860) 270-8105.
Registering Your Business
• Need help navigating the state’s licensing and registration process? Contact Beth Wallace at the CT Economic Resource Center: (860) 571-6207.
• Call the new Small Business Hotline! CT has launched a new small business hotline to help answer any questions you have about registration or resources needed to start your business. Call: 860-392-2122
• The New Business Start-Up Toolkit:
• Visit http://www.concord-sots.ct.gov/CONCORD/index.jsp to learn more.
Mentoring and Business Plan Writing Assistance
• Business Advice: Connecticut has four free mentoring and business advisory resources to help you start your business and advise you through the process of writing your business plan, securing a loan, getting registered, and more! To learn more, visit the Small Business Development Center, The Women’s Business Development Council, the Entrepreneurial Center at the University of Hartford, or the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE).
• DECD Business Ambassador: DECD has six Business Ambassadors provided by the state free of charge for any questions you may have. To learn more, visit: http://www.ct.gov/ecd/lib/ecd/ambass_one_pager_2.pdf or call your Business Ambassador today:
O Fairfield County: 860 -270-8215
O Litchfield County: 860-270-8105
O New Haven County: 860 -270-8073
O Hartford and Tolland County: 860-270-8110
O Middlesex County: 860-270-8163
O Windham County: 860-270-8215